In 1923, the company was sold to Harry C. Hatch for $1.5 million. The company gained a large share of the United States market during prohibition, legally manufacturing it in Canada and then selling it to resellers, who would smuggle it into the United States.
In 1926, Hatch purchased Canada's second largest distiller, Hiram Walker & Sons Ltd., the makers of Canadian Club. The new company was named Hiram Walker-Gooderham & Worts Ltd. It continued manufacturing spirits at the Toronto distillery, but production gradually declined.
In 1987, the firm was sold to the British concern Allied Lyons. In 1990, the Gooderham and Worts distillery complex was closed and was eventually converted into the Distillery District. The Hiram Walker & Sons Distillery is still in operation, now owned by Pernod Ricard. Corby Distilleries, owned by Hiram Walker, continues to make a Gooderham & Worts brand whisky.