The history of J. Wray and Nephew began in 1825 when company founder John Wray opened 'The Shakespeare Tavern' in Kingston, Jamaica. Kingston grew steadily and eventually became Jamaica's capital in 1877, with The Shakespeare Tavern became highly successful. In 1860, Wray brought in Charles James Ward, the son of his brother, to run the business side of the company. Bringing with him qualities that made him a dynamic and gifted entrepreneur, and under the leadership of John Wray, J. Wray and Nephew began a period of growth and prosperity. Wray retired in 1862 and died in 1870 leaving Ward as the sole proprietor of the business.
Ward developed his heritage - a tavern and liquor-dealing concern, into one of Jamaica's largest commercial enterprises and a company that enjoyed international success. At the International Exhibition held in London in 1862, J. Wray and Nephew won three gold medals for its 10, 15 and 25yr rums. The Company's rums also won several awards and prizes at international exhibitions in Paris in 1878, Amsterdam in 1883, New Orleans in 1885 and Jamaica in 1891.
In 1916, the Lindo Brothers & Co purchased J. Wray & Nephew and almost immediately thereafter, the new company, J. Wray & Nephew Ltd., purchased the Appleton Estate - the oldest and most famous of all Jamaica's sugarcane estates.Clear rum distilled from fermented molasses. Not aged. Light strong rum, the most popular rum in Jamaica by a large margin.