In 1974 Whyte & Mackay is bought by 'Lonhro' who sell it on to the Brent Walker Group plc. in 1988. Then, in 1990, Whyte & Mackay Distillers is purchased by American Brands, renamed to JBB Greater Europe plc. in 1995. This company was bought by another company with the name Kyndal International Ltd. in 2001, who shortly after- wards decided to change their name to... Whyte & Mackay Ltd.
It's enough to make your head spin, isn't it? And then, in 2007, the story of Fettercairn took another unexpected turn when owners Whyte & Mackay were bought by the tycoon Vijay Mallya from India.
In 2002 the old design of the bottle and label of 'Old Fettercairn' were changed to 'Fettercairn 1824' At that time, Fettercairn was the only remaining active distillery in that part of the Eastern Highlands - over the years all the other representatives of the area were closed or mothballed; Glencadam (in 2000), Glenury Royal (in 1985), Hillside - Glenesk (in 1985), Lochside (in 1992) and North Port (a.k.a. Brechin, the first one to go in 1983). Fortunately, The Glencadam distillery was brought back to life again in 2003 by the company Angus Dunde