Samuel Dow Limited was established in 1807 by Samuel McCalman/Dow from Lochaber. He opened a very small bar at 45 King Street/Bridgegate in central Glasgow.
The company became well-known in 19th century Glasgow, and it was the third generation Samuel Dow, who developed the business. In 1881 he opened a bar at 226 Great Western Road. In 1896 the company headquarters moved to 242 Clyde Street from 54-58 Mitchell Street. From these premises various blends of scotch whisky were produced and exported worldwide. In 1899 the company also had a public house at 1157-1159 Pollokshaws Road
In 1931 Samuel Dow took over a bar at 67-71 Nithsdale Street in Pollokshaws. The company also operated a public house at 9-11 Dundas Street near Glasgow Queen Street railway station. As of 2014 both bars retain Samuel Dow's name.
Whisky blends included Sam'l Dow's specially selected blended scotch whisky and Dow's Pigeon Blend which was known for its distinctive white pigeon logo. Other blends included McAndrew's, which was also produced and bottled in Glasgow. Occasionally, bottles of Samuel Dow whisky become available to purchase, and are considered to be collector's items.